We've had a great Christmas break. Christmas is such a fun time for the kids. I'll have to post some pictures when I download them. To show you my kids interests, here are there Christmas presents: Jonny (electronic keyboard - so we stop getting after him for playing the piano), Maren (Small stereo for her room), Anna (Portable CD Player), Brian and Scotty (Indiana Jones Lego sets), and Emily (A littlest pet shop set).
Something fun that we did differently this year was that for the names that we drew, we all bought board games for each other. We got some fun games and have had a lot of fun playing them over the break.
After opening presents on Christmas day, we drove up to Ken's mom's house. We spent that evening there and then returned the next day. Ken's mom is so great. She always does so much for us when we're there and never complains about anything. Jim put so much work into the gifts for us. He made bracelets for each of the girls and a rubber band shooter for the boys and bean bag tossers, and beebee shooters. It was pretty fun!
Ken's brother and his family came home with us on Friday and spent the weekend. The kids had so much fun. Our kids match up so well. We were kind of busy with other things so we weren't able to spend a lot of time with them so I felt bad, but it was a fun visit.
Our goal during Christmas break was to clean out the house. We borrowed a trailer and we've made a trip to the dumpster and a trip to Goodwill. We've cleaned out the game closet, the pantry, the kid's rooms, the secret room, the bonus room, the bathrooms upstairs, our closet, Ken's office, the play room, the family room, etc. It's been good to get some of the things done that have been needing some help for a long time. I still have my office, the toys, and the garage pantry to do, but it's coming along :). Overall, it's been a great break. I'm sad the kids have to return to school tomorrow.
Sunday, January 4, 2009
Christmas Break
Posted by Janet Lightheart at 6:01 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Obesity Trends in the United States
My Thoughts on HEALTH and NUTRITION
The above slide show depicts the changes over the past 20 years in the percentage of Americans who are obese. During the past 20 years there has been a dramatic increase in obesity in the United States. The slide set illustrates this trend by mapping the increased prevalence of obesity across each of the states. In 1985 most of the states had a percentage of <10%.>25%. So why the change? What has brought on this increase in our nation? Here are my thoughts.
1. TECHNOLOGY
The 80s and 90s brought computers and game consoles to the world. Outside work and play have been replaced by many hours in front of the computer and electronic games. This has led to a nation that is much less active than before.
2. DIET FADS
The 80s is characterized by the LOW-FAT diet craze. If you ate things that were LOW-FAT you weren't supposed to "get fat." The food guide pyramid was taught. It focused on eating large amounts of grains (6-11 servings of bread, cereal, rice & pasta a day). Other diet fads have been the "low calorie diet" and the "Adkins" or low-carb diets. These diet fads have changed the way people think "healthy" eating should be.
3. EASY/PROCESSED FOODS
Our nation now has a "get it quick and get it now" mentality. Fast food restaurants are abundant and very accessible. The less time it takes to make or get our food, the better.
I feel that the three of these areas combined have led to an increase in obesity in our nation. SO NOW WHAT?
1. TECHNOLOGY
The 80s and 90s brought computers and game consoles to the world. Outside work and play have been replaced by many hours in front of the computer and electronic games. This has led to a nation that is much less active than before.
2. DIET FADS
The 80s is characterized by the LOW-FAT diet craze. If you ate things that were LOW-FAT you weren't supposed to "get fat." The food guide pyramid was taught. It focused on eating large amounts of grains (6-11 servings of bread, cereal, rice & pasta a day). Other diet fads have been the "low calorie diet" and the "Adkins" or low-carb diets. These diet fads have changed the way people think "healthy" eating should be.
3. EASY/PROCESSED FOODS
Our nation now has a "get it quick and get it now" mentality. Fast food restaurants are abundant and very accessible. The less time it takes to make or get our food, the better.
I feel that the three of these areas combined have led to an increase in obesity in our nation. SO NOW WHAT?
1995 Food Guide Pyramid
This is the old food guide pyramid
My Pyramid
This is the new pyramid - it focuses on activity and more balance in foods.
My Solution
Coming Soon:)



5 comments:
I want a secret room AND a bonus room. But especially a secret room...
I'm glad you got some of your cleaning done... I was able to do a little bit of that... I at least got Harry Potter's room done. It was overflowing with unorganization.
Happy Holidays! Thanks for the Christmas card, I love the pictures of the kids. Little Emily is still like a little porcelin doll, so sweet! I hope you got our card too :)
Your break sounds like it was wonderful! I loved having the time with my girls and hubby! Even though I home school we still get busy with the day to day things and it was so fun to just have days on end together! We did the same, cleaning and downsizing...still working but we are getting there slowly but surely!!! A secret room huh? I want one of those!
Cyndie :)
So, I am really curious about this "secret room" you speak of! Hmmm....if that how you lure others to Oregon, by way of spiking their curiosity....things that make you go hmmmm!
Post a Comment