So after Anne's great presentation on the positive aspects of blogging, I decided I needed to try and do at least on thing a day which is "BLOGWORTHY". So here goes today.
1. I attended a great Relief Society Conference. Here is the picture that Anne put on the blog she created right there during the class.

The conference was great. Maren even said she had a good time.
2. I cleaned out my car - NOW I'm not talking about slightly cleaning. It took about 3 hours. The kids helped, too. We wiped down windows, washed out compartments, and even shampooed the seats and the floor. To get the true effect, I should have taken a before and after, but I didn't think about that. The worse was probably the chocolate shake that was ground in to carpet from our last trip to Eugene - YUCK!


3. I helped out at the garden. You can check out our gardening project at Medford Gardening Project. We raked out the spot for the peas, planted them, then learned how to turn the water on (which is not that straight forward).
4. I then jogged to Costco. It always amazed me how close things are to each other in town. It was only 2.5 miles for the pear farm to Costco.
So that is my day. Was it blogworthy?
My Thoughts on HEALTH and NUTRITION
The above slide show depicts the changes over the past 20 years in the percentage of Americans who are obese. During the past 20 years there has been a dramatic increase in obesity in the United States. The slide set illustrates this trend by mapping the increased prevalence of obesity across each of the states. In 1985 most of the states had a percentage of <10%.>25%. So why the change? What has brought on this increase in our nation? Here are my thoughts.
1. TECHNOLOGY
The 80s and 90s brought computers and game consoles to the world. Outside work and play have been replaced by many hours in front of the computer and electronic games. This has led to a nation that is much less active than before.
2. DIET FADS
The 80s is characterized by the LOW-FAT diet craze. If you ate things that were LOW-FAT you weren't supposed to "get fat." The food guide pyramid was taught. It focused on eating large amounts of grains (6-11 servings of bread, cereal, rice & pasta a day). Other diet fads have been the "low calorie diet" and the "Adkins" or low-carb diets. These diet fads have changed the way people think "healthy" eating should be.
3. EASY/PROCESSED FOODS
Our nation now has a "get it quick and get it now" mentality. Fast food restaurants are abundant and very accessible. The less time it takes to make or get our food, the better.
I feel that the three of these areas combined have led to an increase in obesity in our nation. SO NOW WHAT?
My Solution
Coming Soon:)
1 comments:
What a great idea. I love to post pictures on my blog but I rarely have my camera when I do something that I want to blog about (like Workout). So I don't blog about it. I should show up tomorrow morning with my camera. Do you think anyone will hate me?
Post a Comment