It's partly my own fault because I've spent my spare time reading, but I thought summer was our time to slow down. But with Jonny's daily cross country practices, drivers training, and piano lessons, Maren's 4 times a week gymnastics practice, quilting classes, and piano lessons, and Anna's gymnastics and now Karate, and Brian's Karate - not to mention the swimming and reunions and coaching gymnastics and helping a friend with her house and church responsibilities and upcoming Alaskan cruise - Okay I'm not complaining just trying to make sense of the mess I have in my office and my lack of computer time. I'm hoping to get caught up over the next few days. Maren is at girls camp and the boys are going to the coast with Ken tomorrow so I'll have a quiet house. We'll see what I can do!
My Thoughts on HEALTH and NUTRITION
The above slide show depicts the changes over the past 20 years in the percentage of Americans who are obese. During the past 20 years there has been a dramatic increase in obesity in the United States. The slide set illustrates this trend by mapping the increased prevalence of obesity across each of the states. In 1985 most of the states had a percentage of <10%.>25%. So why the change? What has brought on this increase in our nation? Here are my thoughts.
1. TECHNOLOGY
The 80s and 90s brought computers and game consoles to the world. Outside work and play have been replaced by many hours in front of the computer and electronic games. This has led to a nation that is much less active than before.
2. DIET FADS
The 80s is characterized by the LOW-FAT diet craze. If you ate things that were LOW-FAT you weren't supposed to "get fat." The food guide pyramid was taught. It focused on eating large amounts of grains (6-11 servings of bread, cereal, rice & pasta a day). Other diet fads have been the "low calorie diet" and the "Adkins" or low-carb diets. These diet fads have changed the way people think "healthy" eating should be.
3. EASY/PROCESSED FOODS
Our nation now has a "get it quick and get it now" mentality. Fast food restaurants are abundant and very accessible. The less time it takes to make or get our food, the better.
I feel that the three of these areas combined have led to an increase in obesity in our nation. SO NOW WHAT?
My Solution
Coming Soon:)
3 comments:
Plus, you taught my class this week. Thanks you did a great job!!!!
Hi Jan! I am exhausted just reading about your crazy schedule. Good luck with everything.
wow Jan, you are busy, but I already knew that! Hey I noticed you mentioned coaching gym??? What levels are you coaching and I must assume it's at ABK? Have a wonderful rest of your summer, what's left of it! We had such a great summer, but I am looking forward to normal schedules for gym and just life and no more exhibitions, fund raising and just back to a normal life...whatever that is :)
Cyndie :)
Post a Comment