Sunday, March 22, 2009

My Track Family

I really had no idea that my family would become a cross country and track family. I thought maybe basketball, baseball, soccer, gymnastics, etc. but track and cross country never crossed my mind.

Jonny is in track right now and was in cross country also. Jonny really enjoys it. I can't believe how much they run at practice. They run at least 30-40 miles a week. He really enjoys it also - which I don't think I'll ever understand. At his last meet her ran the 1500 (about 1 mile) in 5min 13sec, and the 3000 in 12min flat.

Maren is doing track right now. She loves to do hurdles and long jump. I think she does well at long jump because she's used to running fast toward a stationary item and jumping in the air. Hedrick had their first meet last Thursday. Maren was SO nervous because they were making her run the 1500. Last year she ran the 400 at one meet and had a horrible experience, so she was so scared of running the 1500. She was afraid of coming in last and I think she was also scared because she remembered how horrible she felt after the 400. I had her get on the treadmill a few days before just so she could run a mile before the meet. She ran the mile on the treadmill in about 12 minutes. I told her just to post herself at the meet, and even if she came in last, it would be fine. She was still so nervous that she was literally sick to her stomach for the three days before the meet. She almost didn't run, but got the courage up and did it. She was INCREDIBLE! She did NOT come in last (she wasn't first, but was around the middle of the group). She ran it in 7minutes. And afterwards she said, "It was actually kind of fun!" I was proud of her for trying it.

Anna also loves to run. We're considering pulling her out of gymnastics. She wants to do cross country and track at school but they don't start until 7th grade and she's just finishing 5th. At Jonny's 5K, Dad ran along side her and had to tell her to slow down to pace herself (when in reality he was having a hard time keeping up.

Ken has been running now for about 7-8 years. He started when he was in Saudi Arabia in 2001. He is training to run in the 10 mile Pear Blossom run on April 11th. We went out yesterday morning and ran together (well, I trailed a ways behind me.) My goal is to run in the 5K for the Pear Blossom. I would like to run it in less than 30 minutes. The last 5K, it took me 34 minutes. My fastest time is 33. But yesterday morning I ran 3 miles in 29min 45 sec. So if I keep working towards it, I think I'll be able to do it.

I'm proud of my family and their excitement in staying healthy and fit. Hopefully we'll be able to keep it up :)

0 comments:

My Thoughts on HEALTH and NUTRITION

The above slide show depicts the changes over the past 20 years in the percentage of Americans who are obese. During the past 20 years there has been a dramatic increase in obesity in the United States. The slide set illustrates this trend by mapping the increased prevalence of obesity across each of the states. In 1985 most of the states had a percentage of <10%.>25%. So why the change? What has brought on this increase in our nation? Here are my thoughts.

1. TECHNOLOGY
The 80s and 90s brought computers and game consoles to the world. Outside work and play have been replaced by many hours in front of the computer and electronic games. This has led to a nation that is much less active than before.

2. DIET FADS
The 80s is characterized by the LOW-FAT diet craze. If you ate things that were LOW-FAT you weren't supposed to "get fat." The food guide pyramid was taught. It focused on eating large amounts of grains (6-11 servings of bread, cereal, rice & pasta a day). Other diet fads have been the "low calorie diet" and the "Adkins" or low-carb diets. These diet fads have changed the way people think "healthy" eating should be.

3. EASY/PROCESSED FOODS
Our nation now has a "get it quick and get it now" mentality. Fast food restaurants are abundant and very accessible. The less time it takes to make or get our food, the better.

I feel that the three of these areas combined have led to an increase in obesity in our nation. SO NOW WHAT?

1995 Food Guide Pyramid

1995 Food Guide Pyramid
This is the old food guide pyramid

My Pyramid

My Pyramid
This is the new pyramid - it focuses on activity and more balance in foods.

My Solution

Coming Soon:)